HOLY CATS you guys! The new Adored Vintage is live! It’s ALIVE! It’s A-L-I-V-E!!
Okie dokes, if you’re having loading issues with the new site, just CLEAR YOUR CACHE and DELETE them cookies girl!
I feel like the last few weeks have been a whirlwind… oh gosh, I don’t even know where to begin. Even after the new site launch, I really haven’t taken a breath. Ok, I’m going to take a BIG OLE DEEP BREATHE right now.
Ahh, that’s a bit better.
Okie dokes… so I spent the last few weeks building the new website and Adored Vintage is now powered by SHOPIFY. I am super loving the new digs! I was previously using Zen Cart, which is kind of like that old super comfy couch at your parent’s house that is really dated and there’s a dent in some of the cushions that’s the same exact shape as your body…so you’re COMFORTABLE and you don’t want to move.
Because being uncomfortable sucks.
Anyhow, this summer has been kind of a weird one for me. Can’t say it’s been my favorite summer. However, I have also done A LOT of growing up within my business. I am going list these out because really, I have to convince myself of these accomplishments.
- I am becoming an Accounting Queen. OK…maybe not queen, maybe like Dowager of Downton. But dang, I am impressed with my (so far) dedication to every other Monday accounting. Logging miles and expenses and checking finances. Super boring business stuff NO ONE tells you about.
- I have AT LAST perfected a SOP for webshop updates. OMG. I’m super jazzed about my new system. It involves SKU assignments, lots of tags, lots of sharpies, a Processing Log notebook, and re-arranging the AV HQ (AGAIN!)
- I FINALLY organized the shipping/cleaning supplies section of the studio. JEEZ LOUISE. This was one of those projects that kept getting put in the back burner and then when it would come to shipping products I would find I ran out of label paper, or tape, or padded envelopes. Now that ALL the materials are in ONE place and super organized, I’ll know when my supplies are running low and need to reorder.
- And built a new website. Doi.
So let me tell you a little bit about the process of building my new website:
- I spent a total of approximately 40 hours on it
- I cried twice during the process
- I victory danced 3 times, maybe 4 when I figured stuff out via Google/Youtube/Forums
- I had to restart the rebuilding process after I spent 2 days on one version coz I broke something and didn’t know how to fix it (auuuuugggh)
- I ate approximately 6 fast food meals (I know, I know…) ok, I lied. It was more like 10. I can feel your judgement!
- I re-watched all of Rupaul’s Drag Race Season 4-7 during the process.
I was so nervous about changing over to Shopify because I was worried I wouldn’t be able to figure out the file structure. That moving over would prove I really don’t know how to code websites. Turns out, if you can read code, you’ll be ok. Thankfully I have about 10 years of web design/development experience under my belt and thankfully Google exists. There’s still A LOT I don’t know about Shopify, but all in good time. It took me a good 2 years with Zen Cart to really hammer that nail down.
Now that I’m getting more familiar with my new digs, I keep thinking to myself “Why didn’t I do this sooner? Why?” There are still several things I want to change on the website, but I need to take it a little easy on the coding stuff for a bit.
So, what do you think of the new site? Are there features you think would make it better? (Constructive comments only please! I DO take them all into consideration as many of the new site features were customer suggestions!)